How to Follow Jesus When It’s Hard
Following Jesus requires removing the spirit of offense and trusting in Him, even when we are going through difficult times. The Bible teaches that difficult circumstances are an invitation to a deeper walk with Jesus. In John 6:60-69, Jesus was trying to show the disciples that if you want to follow Him you are going to need a continual revelation of who God is. As we see Jesus for who He is, we can grow in intimacy with God and change into the person He has called us to be.
Questions for Meditation
- Revelation is defined as, “God the Creator actively disclosing to men His power and glory, His nature and character, His will, ways and plans in order that men may know him.” In what ways has God “revealed” himself to you? Is there anything in your life that may be limiting God’s ability to reveal himself to you?
- Have you ever been through a season in your life where you desperately wanted to know God’s plan? What are some Bible verses or promises from God that speak to your ability to overcome those tough times?
- When we are offended, the offense usually falls into one of four categories. Intellectual (“This doesn’t make logical sense”), Emotional (“This hurts too much”), Moral (“That does not feel right”), Relational (“If God loved me he wouldn’t do that”). We know that offenses can cause us to stumble. What things have caused you to stumble in the past? Why do we tend to push God away when we stumble?
- Believing God before the revelation is not always an easy thing to do, but we can read countless stories in the Bible where this takes place. Can you think of a time in your life where you had to believe God before knowing how the situation would play out?
- Why is it important to grow in intimacy with God?
- If a relationship with someone is easy, it is usually shallow. When a relationship is deep, it is typically marked by seasons of difficulty. Why is it that periods of pain and pressure typically precede growth? How can this truth help to encourage you the next time your find yourself in a difficult season?
- What can you do to take the next step in your intimacy with God?