The Gospel of John is used to expose us to who the Exalted Christ really is. Then, our faith can lead to true life in His name. John 20:31 says, “But these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” John 14:6 says, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
In John 7 we find Jesus encountering a series of conflicts. What may look like normal or nature conflict, though, Jesus identifies as spiritual conflict. We want to be on the right side of spiritual conflict and of the challenge that Jesus presents. Jesus wants to support, comfort, cover, and lead us. But those benefits come to us based on how we respond to His challenge. He challenges us to align us with His Spirit and His Will.
Questions for Meditation
- Jesus is unlike any other personality on the planet or in history. His true presence consists of His personality, His presence, and His authority. What do these three facts of Jesus mean to our lives?
- We find in this passage that we can be aligned with Christ or in conflict with Him. If we want to be close to Him, though, there are things we can no longer be close to. What is something in your life that might hinder your alignment with Jesus?
- Conviction is the Holy Spirit piercing our hearts and bringing an awareness of our need for God’s grace and a new way of living. What can hinder our ability to act in response to conviction? Why is that sometimes we are convicted, but don’t follow through with what we feel the Spirit showed us?
- During the religious festival, the people honored what God had done in the past but missed what was right in front them. Why did they fail to see the Savior who was right in front of them?
- How does this echo your life? Are there times, or areas in your life, where you can be prone to be religious, but not worshipful?
- Jesus brings the solution to this conflict, beginning in verse 37. Jesus was making available the power of God to His people. Where do you need a new level of flow and power, and how you feel God wants to supply this to you?
- Where, in your life, do you feel like you need a fresh alignment with God?