David Pursued God & Found Favor
One of the reasons that the life of David is so encouraging for us today is because in many ways it mirrors our lives. His story is relatable because of the natural drama that he encounters in his life. We, too, encounter drama and conflict. But these passages show us how to deal with it, and how God can bless us in its midst.
1 Samuel 18 and 19 are perhaps the height of drama in David’s life. Right after killing Goliath, he encounters conflict in the form of jealousy from his leader, King Saul. Yet, in the midst of a seemingly unending cycle of Saul’s attacks on David’s life, the Bible shows us that God’s favor can trump any conflict or drama in our lives. God’s favor will always find us when we pursue Him, and seek after Him.
Questions for Meditation
1. One of the things that favor does for us is securing significant relationships with people who are on the same journey of pursuing God. What significant relationships has God placed in your life?
2. What were the ways in which the relationships in David’s life blessed him? How have the relationships in your life blessed you?
3. After witnessing the unique favor on David’s life, Saul was consumed with jealousy. What should have been Saul’s response to David’s favor? How have you seen this in your own life and how should you respond?
4. Jealousy can ruin our perceptions in any area of our lives. How can we guard against the demonic logic structure of jealousy?
5. David’s favor secured God’s intervention at every turn of opposition and conflict. How has God intervened for you in the past?
6. God always kept David one step ahead of what the enemy threw at him. In what ways can you pray for God’s favor and help to keep you “one step ahead”?