David Pursued God & Grew In His Calling
A lot of times as Christians we hear the word “calling” thrown into our language, but we easily forget that our first calling is to God Himself. As we are called to Him, as we pursue Him, He then reveals our purpose.
David, although he was on the run from Saul and found himself in a cave while he was supposed to be King, does not blame God or become bitter. Instead, he sees the opportunity that is set before him. David’s pursuits always determined his perceptions, and as David pursued God, he perceived that God was growing him in His calling.
Questions for Meditation
- While David was in the cave, 1 Samuel 22 says that 400 people joined him. Those people were exactly what David needed in the next step of his journey. Even in difficult circumstances, God grows us through Divine addition – by providing what we need in ways only He can. How have you experienced God’s divine provision in your life?
- Often times, such as in David’s time in Adullum, God provides specific people that help grow us in our call. Perhaps someone witnessed to you, supported you in a difficult season, or encouraged you to walk in your calling. What people in your life have been instrumental in your God-given calling?
- In the journey toward our calling, God sets up certain guardrails for us – Kingdom structures – such as marriage, family, employers, government, and education. Why are these so important for our growth and blessing?
- What happens when we step out of those guardrails? From what you know of David’s story, did that ever happen to him?
- David’s call was also grown through Divine direction – His specific leading in our lives. What are some of the ways God has led or directed you in your life?
- In what areas of your life are you praying for God’s guidance toward your calling this week?