If + Then = Favor
In Proverbs 3:3-4, God lays out His equation of blessing for our relationships. It is not surprise, then, that the Lord indicates that we should treat our relationships with the same traits in which He has treated us with. In essence, He says, “take my advice in this way: be more like me in your relational expressions and you will receive favor.” His loyalty toward us is fierce and His expressions of kindness are constant. If loyalty and kindness are the chief marks of our relationships, then God will channel His power to bring about favor and blessing for our lives.
Questions for Meditation
- One of the things this passage shows us is that favor flows through relationships. Our lives are often marked and defined by the personal connections that we make. How have you seen God grant you favor through the avenue of your relationships?
- If we want to walk in favor, we must be able to make friends and live in harmony, agreement, and support of people. Why is this so important to God?
- Meditate on the important relationships that you have held throughout the years. What are some ways that you can ask God to give you grace to gain greater favor in your relationships?
- Often times, we can confuse being famous with favor and success with blessing, when in reality, these things are not synonymous. How do we see this in the world we live in?
- Often times, our gifting can take us places that our character and personality cannot sustain. How can God prepare you in this season to be ready for favor and blessing that may come your way?
- Relationships – and the favor that comes as a result of them – are really the result of the accumulation of what’s in our hearts. Proverbs 3:3-4 says to write loyalty and kindness on the tablets of our hearts. How do these things affect our reputation?
- Meditate on this passage; what are some things in your heart that may have accumulated that are contrary to loyalty and kindness? Pray that God would break that cycle, and replace it with what He desires for your life.