Children of Faith
As we continue in the Exalted Christ series, we remember that the book of John revolves around seeing Him higher so that we can live higher. And living higher for us means living by faith. In John 8:33-39, Jesus and the religious leaders of the day have a discussion revolving around whose children we are – or, who we belong to. And what marks us as children of God is that we believe – we live by faith. So then, we may ask, ‘why is Abraham mentioned?’
Well, the Bible describes Abraham as the father of our faith. While his life was not marked by perfection, what made him special was that he was a man of faith. When God told Abraham to move, he moved. When God told Abraham to wait, he waited. And when God told Abraham to sacrifice, he sacrificed. Abraham’s faith in God is what marked his life and exemplifies the life of faith for us. All throughout our walk with God, these three aspects of faith will always be present.
Questions for Meditation
- When we move on God’s Word, we line up with what god is about to do. Have you ever received a word from God and moved on it, or acted upon it? What was the result?
- Are there any areas of your life that God has given you a word for, but you have not acted on it? What are some of the reasons that we don’t move on God’s Word?
- When we wait, God is preparing us and blessing us. God wanted Abraham to wait because He was building a story in and through Abraham’s life. How has God prepared you in seasons of waiting throughout your life?
- Why is waiting so hard for us? What are some of the lies that the enemy tries to tell us in seasons of waiting?
- When we sacrifice on Earth, God releases from Heaven. When Abraham was asked to lay his son down on the altar, he could have come up with every excuse not to; but he had sacrificed before, and his faith led him to continue to sacrifice to the Lord. What happens when we don’t sacrifice to the Lord what He asks for?
- Why is it so hard to sacrifice at times, and what does it say about our faith?
- How have you seen the Lord respond to your sacrifices in your life? Is there anything that He has been asking you to lay on the altar that you have been reluctant to lay down? Know today that you can take a step of faith, lay your sacrifice on the altar, and God will release His provision for you from Heaven.