Devotional: Authentic Faith: Part 2
Continuing in our Faith series, we see that Hebrews 11:3 continues the definition and introduction of authentic faith: “By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God’s command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen. Last week we were introduced to faith as the confident expectation in the presence, power, and provision of the unseen God. This week, the second part of that definition is revealed as the absolute trust and belief in the command of God. It was the command of God that formed the universe, and what we accept for creation, we also accept for our lives. A faith-oriented worldview means that the word of God, His command, shapes our philosophy and lifestyle.
Questions for Meditation
- When the word of God creates, it carries with it a creative capacity to produce blessing. How do we see this in the creation narration from Genesis 1?
- How can God infuse your life His creative power today?
- His command is not only creative, but productive as well. Whatever He creates He also uses for the good of His people. How is this seen in creation, and how have you seen it in your life?
- The command of God is also living and active in our spirits. How has God’s word changed your spirit in the past–whether it be your motives, your emotions, or your impulses–and in what ways are you believing that to happen in this season of your life?
- The devil has no room against that which is creative, productive, and life-giving. God’s word speaks to every situation in our lives, whether it be when we battle sin, need peace, or have to make a decision in our lives. How can you apply God’s word to your current situation?