Devotional: Update Your Thinking
Anxiety is a war against the soul, and the way that it attacks is through our thoughts. Proverbs 23:7 says, “As a man thinks, so is he”–that’s why the third secret to peace that Paul gives the church in Philippi concerns our thoughts. Instead of focusing on external circumstances and pressures, he says to think about those things that are excellent and praiseworthy. In other words, to change and update the way that we think. Thinking about those things are not always natural to us, and are not what the rest of the world directs us to. This is why our minds need to be consistently updated. Just like a phone or device controlled by software, our thoughts need to be updated.
Questions for Meditation
- Why does our thinking need to be updated, and what does it need to be updated from?
- Where else in the Bible does it talk about the updating of our thinking and our minds?
- What are the different ways that God wants to update your mind?
- Think about the journey the Lord has had you on–when are some times in your life that an updated mind helped you, or could have helped you?
- Why is it that we resist the updates at times? What can we do to ensure that we don’t fall into the enemy’s trap of resisting the update.
- When we update our thinking, what is the strategy that we should be thinking with?