Devotional: Hearing The Good Shepherd’s Voice
As we continue in John 10, we are directed to the fact that, multiple times within this chapter, Jesus focuses on the Shepherd’s voice. Sheep has a number of vulnerabilities, but they have an incredible grace to discern voices. They know their shepherd’s voice and follow it, but do not follow a stranger’s voice. The Good Shepherd’s voice is motivated by love and based on His eternal wisdom and plan, whereas the voice of the enemy aims to steal, kill, and destroy us.
Questions For Meditation
- In what ways have are we able to discern God’s voice, and in what ways does the enemy try to use his voice to trick us?
- What are the motivations of the competing voices in our lives?
- The Good Shepherd’s voice is personal. He knows us intimately. Why is this important for us?
- Has there ever been a time where you doubted the personal essence of God’s relationship with you?
- The Good Shepherd’s voice is also directional. It gives us guidance in our day to day lives. How can we discern between God’s direction and the enemy’s direction?
- In what areas of your life do you need God’s direction? How has He directed you in the past, and how can He direct you in the future?