Devotional: The Good Shepherd’s Heart
Walking with God is a never-ending discovery of how good os a Shepherd Jesus really is, and that is really the heart of the parable of the Good Shepherd in John 10. In our day and age, there are all kinds of shepherds that people follow, but Jesus declares that He is the true Good Shepherd. More than morally exceptional, Jesus also exhibits the kindness and sympathy that flows from His heart to us that truly comforts us as His sheep.
Questions for Meditation
- What are examples of other “shepherds” that have tried to take the lead of your life? How are our lives different when Jesus is truly our Shepherd?
- What is the act that the Good Shepherd accomplished that no other shepherd can do?
- What is the distinction that Jesus makes between the Good Shepherd and a hired hand?
- The sacrifice of Jesus never loses its power or relevance; why is it, though, that we often think it does?
- The Good Shepherd never lets us go by dealing with our adversaries, but also by holding us tight. How has God fought for you, and how has He kept you in various times of your life?
- In what ways can you pray that God would fight for you this week?