Devotional: Ceiling-Breaking Faith
In John 11, we have observed three phases in a journey to a miracle. The third and climactic phase is the deliverance of Jesus’ friend and disciple, Lazarus. This sequence of events shows us that in order to be witnesses of a miracle, we need “ceiling-breaking faith” in God’s uplifting power. A foundational element to this ceiling-breaking faith is to grasp how much God cares about his people. He cares more about our circumstances and troubles than we do. Once we see the immense love and care of God, we need to stand on the sure promises that he has given to us in former days. And finally, God invites us into a life where we partner with him as vessels of his resurrection power. This requires us to roll away the gravestone in anticipation of the miracle that we are believing for.
Questions for Meditation
- What is the “ceiling” (that which stands between your situation and breakthrough) that you are believing God to tear down? Where do you need to experience God’s resurrection and uplifting power in your life?
- We want to see God for who he truly is. Today, begin your meditation by writing down some of God’s characteristics you see in John 11. Remind yourself of who he has shown himself to be. Expand your meditation beyond just John 11 to all the Scriptures.
- How can we consistently remind ourselves of the vastness of God’s care for us?
- Why does Jesus have them roll the stone away before he commands Lazarus to come back to life?
- There is still more power in God’s promise. Write down promises that God has previously impressed upon your mind and heart. Remember: in Christ, all of God’s promises are “yes and amen” (2 Corinthians 1:20).
- All of us were at one time dead in our trespasses and sins (Ephesians 2:1), and we know what it’s like to be born again to newness of life–to experience the salvation of God that gives us spiritual vitality. This week, who are you interceding for to experience the resurrecting power of God for the first time?