Devotional: The Family of God is Missional
When God speaks to Joseph concerning Mary’s child, Jesus, his confusion and many questions are replaced by a sense of God-given mission. There is a clear understanding that, even though he can’t comprehend his current situation, nothing is random for the child of God. God has mission for parents, for children and for every individual. He has a mission for you even if you haven’t recognized it all your life. At the foundational level, however, all Christians are to follow the plan and serve God’s Son, the Lord Jesus.
Questions for Meditation
- In light of God’s Word, how would you define Mission?
- What part of God’s mission for your life requires the most growth or clarity in your life?
- Do you have a mission? If yes, write it out and make sure it is clear for yourself. If not, it is never too late to recognize and receive God mission for your life. Write some initial thoughts about what you sense your mission might be.
- What was certain Joesph’s mission and how does it apply to all believers, including yourself?
- There was and is no greater mission than God’s mission to save the world. Jesus came down from heaven to give his life as a ransom for many. What can you learn about your mission from looking at Jesus’ mission?
- When did God prepare our mission? (See Ephesians 2:10.) What does this tell us about how effective we will be when we align with it?
- Life is not random for the child of God. Recall something in your testimony that seemed random at the time, but in retrospect you can see how God’s hand was in it.