Devotional: Step Up
In Colossians 4:17, Paul refers to Archippus, someone we don’t know much about. Paul encourages him to serve, and to continue and complete the ministry he has received from God. Archippus really is the archetype for us – he is a standard, based off the original standard of Jesus. Jesus didn’t need to be a servant, but for our sake, he took upon the very nature of a servant (Phil 2:7, Matt 20:28). He was the model of servanthood for us and instructed, “The greatest among you will be your servant” (Matt 23:11).
Questions for Meditation
- What is ministry? Did today’s message affirm or challenge any previous ideas you had of ministry?
- What makes ministry sacred?
- Paul first says to Archippus, “See to it” – in other words, open your eyes and identify the need and opportunity to serve. When have you been impacted by somebody who chose to serve?
- Paul continues to exhort Archippus – and us – to “receive” the ministry from the Lord. A lot of times, we can hear something from the Lord, or recognize something in our lives, without truly receiving and owning it. What happens when we don’t truly receive and own the ministry the Lord tries to give us?
- What is your ministry? If so, what is it? If not, where can you start serving in order to put the story of Archippus into practice?