Devotional: The Faith Response
Hebrews 11 is also known as the “Hall of Faith” – an account, not only of people of faith, but of their responses of faith. For every season, circumstance, moment, situation, and trial – there are a myriad of responses we can choose from – but there is always a faith response that will honor God.
The challenges and threats we face – as people of God, or even as a society – are always serious, but never new to God, and they never take Him by surprise. Andrew Murray said that “Faith is the spiritual faculty of the soul that deals with the spiritual realities of the future and the unseen.” Faith always looks to the future, and a faith response is always the choice that pleases God, and the choice that expects a reward from God.
Read the rest of Hebrews 11, and see how God used faith responses throughout history.
Questions for Meditation
- Read Romans 10:17. How is faith developed in our lives?
- Have you heard God today? How does God speak to you, and what has He been saying to you?
- Why is it, that sometimes we fail to accept God’s word as true?
- Many times we love God’s promises, but we fail to embrace His commands. Why is this? How can we learn to embrace the coaching of God’s Word and the value of His instructions?
- The people in Hebrews 11 were all people who believed God – but even while they waited for His promise, they trusted Him. They were commended for this – why is this tough for us sometimes?
- In the midst of waiting, do you ever begin to think less of God? What can help with this?