Devotional: Can You Resist the Chaos?
We are living in a peculiar age in the history of our world. We are living in the midst of a global pandemic. We have all been exposed to the racism and injustice that exist in our country, either for the first time or all too many times. We are seeing our cities break down, both physically and ideologically. We are, in other words, being exposed more fully to the chaos of our world. And Satan is licking his chops.
Satan would love nothing more than to use this chaos to turn you away from God, and towards hate, anxiety, and death. In fact, it may seem as though there is no other option for us in the kind of world that we are living in. However, God offers us a better way. He offers love, peace and life. If we would submit to him, in resistance to Satan and in humility towards him, he will give us all of these things even amidst the chaos that we find ourselves in. After all, God “opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6, ESV).
Questions for Meditation
- As you reflect on this past week, what have been your prevailing emotions? What do you think the source of these emotions are?
- Pastor Toledo said that there’s no victory that does not come through the Enemy. Why do you think that is?
- Satan knows our “triggers”, and therefore he knows how to land effective “punches” on our hearts, minds and lives. What are some of your “triggers” that you tend to give in to?
- How does having discipline help in the fight against chaos, and the things that it triggers (Ex: Air Force fighter pilot)?
- What does it mean to submit to God? What would this look like in your own life?
- What does it mean to resist the devil? What would this look like in your own life?
- Why is repentance so key to both submitting to God and resisting the devil? What about it naturally brings about these two things?
- Is there anything that you need to repent of today?