Devotional: The Vibes of Love
When we think of the word “love,” many times an affection or a memory comes to mind rather than a concrete definition. Love is not just known about; it is experienced. Experiences of desire, of belonging, of sacrifice, and of community conjure up the feeling of this love, and these encounters come to define our very lives. Love is the most potent force for human good, and calls forth the best in both the one loving and the one being loved.
Scripture tells us that God is love itself. Scripture also tells us that all of the commandments can be summed up with these words: love God and love your neighbor. Love is at the very foundation of what it means to be Christian, which is why it is the first fruit of the Spirit, and why Paul spends a whole chapter of his letter to the church in Corinth discussing it. It is at the very center of our witness, and the very first vibe that we must seek to give off.
Questions for Meditation
- What is the Vibe of Love? What are some of the things that historical figures have had to say about it?
- What is the love of God? How should our human love mirror this love?
- What happens when you are filled with something other than the love of God? What are the things that are filling your heart other than the love of God?
- What are the three effects that love has on us?
- What does it mean for love to “stop” us? Why is this different from legalism?
- What are some ways that the love of God can grow you today?