Devotional: The Vibe of Gentleness
There are many forces in our times that pull us towards the temptation of narcissism. Things such as social media and our smartphones tell us that we are the center of the universe, and that we must be in full control of our lives. If we are not always right, and if we are not always secure in our own resources, then this universe crumbles at the foundations.
What is our answer to such narcissistic temptations? The gentleness of the Holy Spirit. The vibe of gentleness may seem like a ‘weak’ answer to a strong cultural current, but therein lies its very strength. Gentleness affords the spirit of man a controlled strength that is able to be flexible when the situation calls for it. Gentleness allows God to be the one who is always right, not us. Through the Holy Spirit, we are dead to self-serving security, and alive to the wisdom and direction of God, from wherever and from whomever it may come.
Questions for Meditation
- What is gentleness? What are its opposites?
- What is the vibe of gentleness?
- What does gentleness, or humility, open up your heart to? What does it close it to? What does arrogance open up your heart to? What does it close it to?
- What are the three things that humility turns us into?
- Why do defense mechanisms prevent us from growing? What are some defense mechanisms that prevent you from growing?
- Where is God calling you to listen today? Where is he calling you to serve?