Devotional: Take to Heart – He Wants to Speak to You
In our world, and in each of our lives, we all take different things to heart. In other words, there are things that we internalize and live according to. Things we are greatly affected and impacted by, things that we hold onto as valuable and life-directing. For some of those, those are influenced by our family and social experiences. Some of us take things from the media and culture to heart. As we begin this series, “Take to Heart,” take a moment and examine – what are the things you have taken to heart in the past, and live by, and have allowed your heart to be shaped by? What things do you continue to let your heart be shaped by? God encourages us to take His ways, His truth, and His character to heart, and allow that to shape our heart, our thought patterns, our paradigms, and our choices.
Questions for Meditation
- Why is it important to know and live by the fact that God has a specific word for you?
- What is the difference between expecting a word to be specific, and having a general expectation toward the Word of God?
- What does God’s specific word always bring about?
- Think about a time that God may have given you a specific word. How did it impact you, and shape you?
- Why does God encourage us to expect His Word to be focused more on Him, and not merely on ourselves?
- What has God spoken to you about Himself, and how can that inform how He wants to continue to speak to you about yourself?