Forgiveness is something that is often talked about, and something we feel like we understand. However, when we see it in action in the Bible it shows us that it has much more power than we often think. As believers, forgiveness is a subtle power that we possess to show Christ’s love, but to also live at a higher level. We have the power to forgive when others don’t want it, don’t deserve it, and don’t receive it. It removes judgment and aligns them for mercy, and opens their future instead of stopping it. When people are released from guilt or deeds they’ve done to us, we are able to release God’s grace and power into their lives, breaking the often destructive and demonic cycle of revenge and judgment.
Question For Meditation
- Why is it so important to remember that forgiveness can’t be done without the Spirit?
- What are some of the ways to forgive that were outlined in this passage?
- How are those ways of forgiving counter cultural to what we know, and how we tend to process hurt?
- How can you implement forgiveness into your life this week? Are there people or situations you haven’t let go?
- How would our relationships be different if we practice true forgiveness?
- What are the things that forgiveness brings?
- How can our, and others, futures look different with forgiveness?