Devotional: Following Jesus
When Jesus called His disciples, He first called them to Himself. Meaning, before he sent them to do anything, He invited them to be with Him, to fellowship with Him, and to be in His presence. Being called to Jesus, though, meant that they had a choice to make – they chose to leave their the lives they previously had lived. The same goes for us as disciples. When God calls us to Himself, He is also calling us away from aspects of our lives that would otherwise draw us away from Him.
Questions For Meditation
- What does Jesus mean when He says, “follow me?” How does that look in today’s context?
- How do we become like Jesus as He calls us to Himself?
- How does life look different when we follow Jesus versus before we follow His call?
- How do things of our past try to stop us from becoming?
- Is there anything God wants you to let go of in order to continue to become all that God has called you to be?