Devotional: Becoming As We Love With God’s Heart
Love is the highest form of spirituality. God is love, and when we act in love, we are taking on His character and likeness. The Bible speaks of this love, agape, not only as selfless, sacrificial, and unconditional, but as an obligation and repaying of a debt. This is not in an obligatory sense, but in a willing and free sense, living and responding to others as if we owe them love, even when earthly circumstances might dictate we don’t. Love is our greatest Kingdom instrument of change – it not only fulfills the law, but it permeates the culture.
Questions For Meditation
- Why are we obligated by love? What is that obligation?
- Who are we supposed to love and show love to?
- Think about your life. When is it hard to love people you are called to love, and how can you be full of love toward those people?
- Think about a time that you felt protected by love. How did that make you feel, and how did it change you?
- Who is somebody or a group of people in your life that you can protect with love? How can you demonstrate that?
- What are some creative ways to love others that you’ve seen? What can you do to love people omni-directionally in a new way this week?