Devotional: Resurrection’s Reach
2000 years after Christ rose from the dead, we celebrate because He came to raise us up. His resurrection is the bedrock of our faith. If we believe in His resurrection, we can believe in His power to touch any and all of our lives. The Apostle Paul said, “If Christ has not been raised from death, then we have nothing to preach and you have nothing to believe” (1 Corinthians 15:14 GNT). Throughout history, people have attempted to debunk the resurrection, but even the most skeptical of historians have conceded that they can’t deny the historical details that surround the resurrection and its eyewitness accounts. Today, his resurrection is not only a historical truth, but the foundation of our hope and faith. In John 11, we find a story in which Jesus not only forecasts what will happen to Him after He’s crucified, but where Jesus also displays the amazing power He releases on His children’s behalf.
Questions For Meditation
- What was so “final” regarding where Lazarus was placed?
- Have you ever seen God resurrect something that seemed to be in the grave already?
- Is there anything in your life that seems like it might be too far gone?
- Have you ever tried to resurrect something on your own before? What does this story show us about our power as opposed to God’s power?
- What is the significance of Jesus exhorting them to leave the grave clothes at the end of the story?
- Are there any “grave clothes” that you’ve carried and been hindered by? How do you feel God wants you to deal with them today?