Devotional: Destined For Impact
In Matthew 5:13-16, Jesus reveals two very unique callings that each Christian has. We are to be salt in a flavorless and decaying world. And we are to be light that shines in the darkness and illuminates the world with the light of Christ. Just as the human body needs salt and light to survive, so does our broken world. Because Christ made us salt and light, followers of Christ are destined to make an impact by inviting others to experience the true Freedom in Christ and his Kingdom.
Questions For Meditation
- Followers of Christ are called and destined to impact the world around them. Where do you see a need in your immediate surroundings? In your family and workplace? In your city? In our nation?
- There is no such thing as a Christian on the sidelines. Have you ever found yourself on the sidelines and not engaged in impacting those areas? Why? Did you think that sharing the message of Jesus Christ and making an impact was someone else’s job? Why?
- As a Christian, you are salt that seasons and brings out the flavor. What does Jesus mean by that? Does your presence among family, friends, and coworkers bring out the “flavor” of heavenly things? How can you be filled with the power to season every situation with the flavor of heaven?
- As a Christian, you are salt that preserves and protects from decaying. What does Jesus mean by that? Are there areas in your own life, or loved ones, that sin is threatening to decay? What is the layer of protection to keep from decaying? How can you spread that layer of protection over it?
- As a Christian, you are salt that will never expire. But impurities make salt go bad. Are there any impurities that have crept into your walk with Christ, your home, or your surroundings? What eradicates those impurities? How do you keep your salt pure?
- As a Christian, you are the light of the world. A light, no matter how small, is immediately noticeable in a dark place. Have you kept your light shining in your day-to-day? Who, ultimately, gives light and makes your light shine? How do you keep your light shining?
- The human body needs both salt and light or it dies. The same is true for the world. Have you ever considered how critically this world needs your salt and light? What is the flavor, preservation, and everlasting light that you can bring to this dark and dying world? Will you bring seasoning and light into someone’s life this week? Who do you have in mind?