Devotional: Happy Are The Tamed
The third beatitude – meekness – rises out of the first two. While our lack and mourning are expressive of our deficiency, in this third beatitude, something is supplied. By the grace of God, meekness works and proves the work of the Holy Spirit in our soul. Meekness presumes that even though we have great strengths given to us by God, we also have a sinful nature that needs to be tempered by the Holy Spirit. Meekness is not weakness, it is controlled strength.
Questions For Meditation
- What is surprising about the beatitude of meekness?
- Why is meekness sometimes looked down upon as a character trait?
- What are some of the things that get in the way of us seeing and submitting to God as ruler of our lives?
- How does God bless us when we submit to His ways and His will?
- How can you submit in new ways to allow God to mold you and break you?
- Why do we try to gain and grab our own rewards instead of submitting to God and allowing Him to reward us?