Devotional: The Gift Of Uncertainty
In Genesis 12:1-2, God told Abraham to venture out. God then promised Abraham He would bless him. But God never told Abraham the plan. Abraham heard God’s voice and began his journey without knowing all the details. Can you relate? We know God’s promises for us. But most of the time we live in the day-to-day waiting and the uncertainty. But uncertainty is uncomfortable. And God doesn’t always give us all the details. But uncertainty is a gift because it humbles us and allows God to build our faith in Him until He delivers the promise.
Questions For Meditation
- How is your relationship with uncertainty and the unknown? Do you run from uncertainty or embrace it?
- In Genesis 12:1-3, did God tell Abraham where to go? Did God tell Abraham how or when God will make him into a great nation?
- Would Abraham still need faith if God had given him all those details? Would you still need faith if God gave you everything you wanted in an instant?
- What do you need in times of uncertainty: clarity or commitment? What gets you through uncertainty: trusting “the process” or trusting the person of Jesus Christ?
- Read Hebrews 11:8. How does certainty about what will happen destroy our faith and trust in God? Why is trusting God necessary to fulfill the promise?
- Are you willing to give your uncertainty to God? Where is the best place to be when you are uncertain?