Devotional: The Great Becoming
Everyone is a mystery to each other if it wasn’t for the words we speak. We use words to disclose information about ourselves and to reveal who we are. God eliminated the mystery of who He is when He sent Jesus into the world. In John 1:1-14, we see God revealing who He is with his Word – the person of Jesus. Jesus is the personal expression of the thoughts, mind, and character of God. To say Jesus is the Word means that part of God’s essential being is to communicate Himself to us. And he does that through the person and life of his son Jesus Christ.
Questions For Meditation
- Read John 1:1. Who does the “Word” refer to? Why is this one of the names for Christ?
- What is the primary way God has revealed Himself? Where do we look to see what God is like?
- What does John 1:1 mean when it says the Word “was”? What does John 1:14 mean when it says the word “became”?
- John 1:14 says the Word made his dwelling among us. What does that mean?
- John 1:14 says we have seen his glory. But Exodus 33:20 says no one can see God and live. How is it possible for us to see his glory?
- John 1:14 says Jesus is full of grace and truth. What is the truth about your condition and what you deserve? How did God show you grace? Are you ready to show grace and truth to others?