Devotional: What Are We Creating
In Genesis 5:1-3 we see that God created Adam to resemble God’s nature. Mankind was created with an ability to pass on traits to future generations. The traits we pass on are not just physical, but spiritual. God meant for Adam to pass on God’s spiritual DNA to every generation. But Adam fell, and sin worked its way into mankind’s lineage as it was passed on from generation to generation. But Christ came and died for our sins as the way to restore our sinful DNA and redeem us back into the holy lineage that God intended from the beginning. We each have a spiritual DNA. What DNA are you passing on to future generations?
Questions for Meditation
- What does Genesis 5:1 say about whose spiritual DNA man was created with? Why did God create us with the ability to pass on a spiritual DNA?
- What happened to mankind’s spiritual DNA after Adam sinned in the garden? What kind of DNA did Adam pass down to us?
- What does Colossians 1:21 say about what our sin does to our relationship with God? What does sin do to the spiritual legacy we pass on?
- What does Matthew 3:8 say about how our spiritual DNA can be restored? Whose descendants do we become once we repent and are restored?
- What does having God’s DNA mean for how you live your life and how you see God and those around you?
- What has your spiritual legacy been until now? What can it be with the help of the Holy Spirit inside you? What do you want it to be?