Devotional: Heaven’s Sounding Sweeter
The world, the flesh and the devil are constantly vying for our attention. They want us to be completely fixated on what is happening to us and around us. They want us to disbelieve in heaven or forget that it exists by focusing on our pain, grief, sorrow, and problems. But Christ came to redeem us from the tyranny of the present by offering us eternal life with Him in a place far away from here that was prepared just for us – Heaven, our true home. Keeping our mind on heaven helps our hearts know that heaven is a real place and thinking about heaven helps us live holier lives. And anticipating heaven conquers our fear of death because Christ has trampled on death itself and gave us eternal victory with him.
Questions for Meditation
- Why does culture ignore and disbelieve in heaven? Have you ever paused to think of heaven or have you been too preoccupied with everything happening down here?
- Why does the enemy want us to be fixated on earthly things that are passing away? Read 2 Corinthians 4:7-9. What is the result when we fix our mind on heaven?
- Read John 14:3 and 1 Thessalonians 4:17. How can we be sure that heaven is a real place? What if science and this culture says that it is not real – Read Matthew 24:35 – what triumphs over science and culture?
- Read Revelation 19:1-11. What is taking place in heaven right now? What does reflecting on heaven in this moment encourage us to do?
- Read 1 John 3:2-3. Do you find yourself tired, dissatisfied or hurting? What does this passage say about what is waiting for you in Christ?
- Read 1 John 3:3. What does this verse say about how that promise becomes reality? Who can purify you of all sin and make you just like Him?
- What is the final enemy that Jesus Christ has overcome? Knowing that, is there any fear, threat and concern that you cannot overcome through Christ?