Devotional: Use the Book
God is the ultimate, strong and loving Father. And He gave instructions to earthly fathers on how to be good fathers. When fathers use the Word of God, they impress on their children something of infinite, eternal value. Fathers can teach their children how to be more like Christ, the perfect son of God. By talking about the Word of God, fathers can bestow the blessing of holy fun and laughter on their children. When fathers carry the Word of God, they can teach their children the value of costly obedience. And when fathers display the Word of God, they demonstrate the joy of wise choosing and set up their children to be blessed and mighty in the land. All of this comes through seeking the face of God for themselves.
Questions for Meditation
- Who can fathers turn to if they want to learn to be good dads? Where can they find the heavenly Father’s wisdom for fatherhood?
- Read Deuteronomy 6:7. What is God telling fathers to do with the Word of God? Why is it so important to impress the Word of God on children?
- Is there a connection between who we are in private and what our children see when they are watching?
- Read Deuteronomy 6:5-6. How can fathers get the power and ability to impress the Word of God on their children and usher the presence of God in their homes?
- Read Psalm 112:1,2, 7. What impact will elevating the Word of God have on your children and family?
- Who is the ultimate, good, strong and loving Father? What has He done to demonstrate his love for you?
- Does reflecting on God sending his only son to die on the cross make you want to love and honor God? Does it make you want to elevate the Word and the love of God in your home? Will you?