Devotional: Dreamers Overcome Dysfunction
Joseph’s story is a powerful reminder that our past does not have to dictate our future. Despite coming from a dysfunctional family tree that included his great-grandfather Abraham, grandfather Isaac, and father Jacob, Joseph was able to rise above his circumstances and become a great leader. He refused to let his family’s history of jealousy, deceit, and betrayal define him. Instead, he chose to live a life of integrity, forgiveness, and faith.
Joseph’s story teaches us that we have the power to break the cycle of dysfunction in our families. It may not be easy, and it may require a lot of hard work, but it is possible. We can choose to forgive those who have hurt us, to let go of grudges and bitterness, and to seek healing and wholeness. By doing so, we can create a new legacy for ourselves and for future generations. Just like Joseph, we can overcome our past and become the people that God has called us to be.
Questions for Meditation
- How can dysfunction ultimately lead to deception?
- How can we end dysfunction in our own lives?
- Why is discerning dysfunction so important? What happens when we do, and what happens when we don’t?
- How can lying spirits impact us? How can we fight them?
- Why is the light so important?
- What are some ways you can ensure you stay in the light?