Devotional: Pigs Over People
When Jesus performed a miracle and healed a demon-possessed man, He was not greeted with applause, adoration, or amazement. Instead, he was asked to leave. This story, recorded in Mark 5 (and also in Matthew and Luke), highlights the disease of me and the disease of more that we can sometimes fall for. Because of the attitude of, “what’s in it for me?,” the farmers looked around and saw that their livestock was at risk. Rather than celebrating the miracle that had been done in this man’s life and the impact it could have on their community, they looked at the loss of profit, the loss of power, and the loss of pleasure that came with losing their pigs. Ultimately, they chose pigs over people, and pigs over the presence of Jesus.
Questions For Meditation
- What does Jesus value?
- Why is it so important to value what Jesus values? And what happens when we don’t?
- Identify a time that you made a decision based upon what Jesus valued, despite other circumstances or pressures.
- How did Jesus sacrifice for us?
- Why is sacrifice important for us as we walk with Jesus?
- What kind of sacrifice do you feel like God might be asking of you in this season?