Devotional: Managing Your Storms
In Mark 6:45-52, we find the disciples on a boat in the midst of a stormy sea. They were struggling against the wind, making little progress. In the darkest hours of the night, when the waves seemed most daunting, Jesus came to them, walking on the water. This miraculous moment is a powerful reminder that in the storms of life, Jesus is present. Just as he walked on water to reach his disciples, he comes to us in the midst of our struggles. The disciples, initially terrified, found comfort and peace when they recognized Jesus. It’s a poignant metaphor for our own lives; when we face the storms of uncertainty, fear, or challenges, Jesus is there, inviting us to recognize him and find solace in his presence.
This passage encourages us to look beyond the turbulence of our circumstances and fix our gaze on Jesus. Like Peter, who stepped out in faith onto the water but faltered when he took his eyes off Jesus, we may sometimes lose our focus amidst life’s storms. Yet, Jesus is always ready to reach out and lift us up when we call upon him. This story challenges us to trust in the Lord, even when the storms are fierce, and to remember that Christ’s presence is our anchor in the midst of life’s uncertainties. As we navigate the challenges that come our way, let us keep our eyes on Jesus, knowing that he is with us, providing the peace that surpasses all understanding and guiding us through the tumultuous seas of life.
Questions For Meditation
- What is the most important part of this passage and story?
- What is courage? And what is it not?
- Is there any area of your life that you need to exhibit courage in? Are there storms that have scared you off of where you’re meant to go?
- Why didn’t the disciples see Jesus in the storm?
- Did Jesus see the disciples? What did Jesus do?
- What parts of your life could benefit from a change of perspective?